- harm or damage that is done or sustained: to escape without injury.
- a particular form or instance of harm: an injury to one's shoulder; an injury to one's pride.
- wrong or injustice done or suffered.
- Law. any wrong or violation of the rights, property, reputation, etc., of another for which legal action to recover damages may be made.
- Obsolete. injurious speech; calumny.
Origin of injury
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for injury
It was like a constant assault, an almost stupefying catalogue of mindless racial insult and injury.How Martin Luther King Jr. Influenced Sam Cooke’s ‘A Change Is Gonna Come’
December 28, 2014
And thus I end up at the bottom of the stairs, about one month after my injury and two months after my wedding.You’re Never ‘Cured’ of an Eating Disorder
December 20, 2014
Insult to injury, its $43 million gross was less than one-fifth of what Ted took in.The Biggest Bombs of 2014: ‘Sex Tape,’ Mariah Carey’s Vocals, ‘How I Met Your Mother’ and More
December 19, 2014
To add insult to injury, he procured male escorts while traveling for school business.Headmasters Behaving Badly
November 29, 2014
Even before his injury, the strain had begun to tell on him.When West Point Football Turned Fatal
October 30, 2014
Who among you ever received an injury from that kind old man?Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
I am sure the injury you speak of could not have happened when he was in charge.Brave and Bold
But tell me why you think my endeavours to make you believe as I did never did you injury?Life in London
But the passengers' right of action for injury would be very limited.Flying Machines
W.J. Jackman and Thos. H. Russell
I saw that he feared me and wished to make sure that I had it not in my power to do him some injury.Green Mansions
W. H. Hudson
- physical damage or hurt
- a specific instance of thisa leg injury
- harm done to a reputation
- law a violation or infringement of another person's rights that causes him harm and is actionable at law
- an obsolete word for insult
Word Origin and History for injury
- Damage, harm, or loss, as from trauma.
- A particular form of hurt, damage, or loss.
Idioms and Phrases with injury
see add insult to injury.