- the study of or preoccupation with excrement or obscenity.
- obscenity, especially words or humor referring to excrement.
- the study of fossil excrement.
Origin of scatology
Also called coprology.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
less commonly scatologic (ˌskætəˈlɒdʒɪk)
- characterized by obscenity or preoccupation with obscenity, esp in the form of references to excrement
- of or relating to the scientific study of excrement
- the scientific study of excrement, esp in medicine for diagnostic purposes, and in palaeontology of fossilized excrement
- obscenity or preoccupation with obscenity, esp in the form of references to excrement
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for scatological
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The study and analysis of feces for physiological and diagnostic purposes.coprology
- An obsession with excrement or excretory functions.
- The psychiatric study of such an obsession.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.