- under or beneath a mountain or mountains.
- at or near the foot of mountains.
- pertaining or belonging to the lower slopes of mountains.
Origin of submontane
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for submontane
The state of Jammu proper, as opposed to Kashmir, consists of a submontane tract, forming the upper basin of the Chenab.
The avifauna at Quoin Hill was a mixture of montane, submontane, and lowland species.Birds from North Borneo
Max C. Thompson
The monsoon rains come later and are much less abundant than in the submontane zone.The Panjab, North-West Frontier Province, and Kashmir
Sir James McCrone Douie
Except in the submontane strips and deep valleys the climate is mild.
It still exists in places along the tari or submontane fringe of the Himalayas.
- situated on or characteristic of the lower slopes of a mountain
- beneath a mountain or mountain range
C19: from Latin sub- + mōns mountain
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012