- appropriate, favorable, or suitable: an opportune phrase for the occasion.
- occurring or coming at an appropriate time; well-timed: an opportune warning.
Origin of opportune
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. apt; fortunate, propitious. 2. convenient. Opportune, seasonable, timely refer to something that is particularly fitting or suitable for a certain time. Opportune refers to something that is well-timed and meets exactly the demands of the time or occasion: an opportune remark. Something that is seasonable is right or proper for the time or season or occasion: seasonable weather. Something that is timely occurs or is done at an appropriate time, especially in time to meet some need: timely intervention.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- occurring at a time that is suitable or advantageous
- fit or suitable for a particular purpose or occurrence
C15: via Old French from Latin opportūnus, from ob- to + portus harbour (originally: coming to the harbour, obtaining timely protection)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for un-opportune
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper