- of, relating to, or typical of aborigines: aboriginal customs.
- original or earliest known; native; indigenous: the aboriginal people of Tahiti.
Origin of aboriginal
Synonyms for aboriginalSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for aboriginalprimitive, ancient, primary, native, original, endemic, first, earliest, indigenous, primeval, primordial
Examples from the Web for aboriginal
Contemporary Examples of aboriginal
The day just gets more upsetting when we hear about aboriginal rights in Canada.
The cover story is about how over 1,000 aboriginal women have gone missing since 1980.
“At that time, Aboriginal people were only just granted citizenship,” Briggs tells the Daily Beast.
One Sapphire, Kay, falls for a black soldier, even as she struggles with her Aboriginal identity.
An all-girl Aboriginal quartet sings in war-torn Vietnam in ‘The Sapphires,’ out today.
Historical Examples of aboriginal
What is the aboriginal Self, on which a universal reliance may be grounded?Essays, First Series
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Every vestige of aboriginal architecture has disappeared from the surface of the city.
This name is aboriginal, and signifies "The place where things are made."
May we not say that this is what takes place in an aboriginal tribe?Essays: Scientific, Political, & Speculative, Vol. I
In Spain it is difficult to find any traces of the aboriginal religions.The Oriental Religions in Roman Paganism
- existing in a place from the earliest known period; indigenous; autochthonous
- of, relating to, or characteristic of the indigenous peoples of Australia
- another word for an Australian Aborigine