- in, at, or to a higher place.
- overhead, upstairs, or in the sky: My brother lives in the apartment above. A flock of birds circled above.
- higher in rank, authority, or power: She was told to speak to the person above.
- higher in quantity or number: books with 100 pages and above.
- before or earlier, especially in a book or other piece of writing; foregoing: the remark quoted above.Compare below(def 6).
- in or to heaven: gone to her eternal rest above.
- Zoology. on the upper or dorsal side.
- Theater. upstage.Compare below(def 9).
- higher than zero on the temperature scale: The temperature dropped to ten above this morning.
- in or to a higher place than; over: to fly above the clouds; the floor above ours.
- more in quantity or number than; in excess of: all girls above 12 years of age; The weight is above a ton.
- superior in rank, authority, or standing to: A captain is above a lieutenant.
- not subject or liable to; not capable of (some undesirable action, thought, etc.): above suspicion; to be above bad behavior.
- of too fine a character for: He is above such trickery.
- rather than; in preference to: to favor one child above the other.
- beyond, especially north of: six miles above Baltimore.
- Theater. upstage of.
- said, mentioned, or written above; foregoing: the above explanation.
- something that was said, mentioned, or written above: to refer to the above.
- the person or persons previously indicated: The above will all stand trial.
- heaven: truly a gift from above.
- a higher authority: an order from above.
- above all, most important of all; principally: charity above all.
Origin of above
Related Words for aboveraised, exceeding, high, superior, over, overhead, aloft, atop, beyond, upon, before, surpassing
Examples from the Web for above
Contemporary Examples of above
Are you excited, nervous, afraid, all of the above for the new Star Wars films?Patton Oswalt on Fighting Conservatives With Satire
January 6, 2015
I fall back into a dream and then suddenly there is a tapping on the window just above my bed.The Story Behind Lee Marvin’s Liberty Valance Smile
January 3, 2015
He thinks if you add up the above the line you'll see that 50 gets you the slightly bigger movie with more action and 45 won't.Inside Sony’s ‘Pineapple Express 2 Drama’: Leaked Emails Reveal Fight Over Stoner Comedy Sequel
December 21, 2014
Citizens were watching in shock from above on the subway station.Anger at The Cop Killer - And The Police
December 21, 2014
The Sony hack has revealed, above all, just how easy it is for this information to get out.Pyongyang Shuffle: Hollywood In Dead Panic Over Sony Hack
December 19, 2014
Historical Examples of above
Had Mrs. Bines been above talking to low people, a catastrophe might have been averted.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
Above, below, the rose of snow, Twined with her blushing foe we spread.The Armourer's Prentices
Charlotte M. Yonge
Since I wrote the above, I ventured to send a letter by Shorey to my mother.
I said above, that I never can be, that I never ought to be, Mrs. Solmes.
So there is full proof, that she came not from above all at once an angel!
- on top of or higher than; overthe sky above the earth
- greater than in quantity or degreeabove average in weight
- superior to or prior toto place honour above wealth
- too honourable or high-minded forabove petty gossiping
- too respected for; beyondabove suspicion; above reproach
- too difficult to be understood bythe talk was above me
- louder or higher than (other noise)I heard her call above the radio
- in preference toI love you above all others
- north ofwhich town lies just above London?
- upstream from
- above all most of all; especially
- above and beyond in addition to
- above oneself presumptuous or conceited
- in or to a higher placethe sky above
- in a previous place (in something written)
- (in combination)the above-mentioned clause
- higher in rank or position
- in or concerned with heavenseek the things that are above
- the above something that is above or previously mentioned
- mentioned or appearing in a previous place (in something written)
Word Origin for above
In addition to the idioms beginning with above
- above all
- above and beyond
- above suspicion
- above the law
- all (none) of the above
- cut above
- head and shoulders above
- over and above