- regularly recurring stress.
- a mark indicating stress or some other distinction in pronunciation or value.
- the unique speech patterns, inflections, choice of words, etc., that identify a particular individual: We recognized his accents immediately. She corrected me in her usual mild accents.
- the distinctive style or tone characteristic of an author, composer, etc.: the unmistakably Brahmsian accents of the sonata; She recognized the familiar accents of Robert Frost in the poem.
- a stress or emphasis given to certain notes.
- a mark noting this.
- stress or emphasis regularly recurring as a feature of rhythm.
- a symbol used to distinguish similar quantities that differ in value, as in b′, b″, b‴ (called b prime, b second or b double prime, b third or b triple prime, respectively).
- a symbol used to indicate a particular unit of measure, as feet (′) or inches (″), minutes (′) or seconds (″).
- a symbol used to indicate the order of a derivative of a function in calculus, as f′ (called f prime) is the first derivative of a function f.
verb (used with object)
Words nearby accent
Origin of accent
OTHER WORDS FROM accent
Examples from the Web for accenting
Her long, dark hair falls softly around her face, accenting her eyes, which are round and liquid.
There is surely no doubt that, in accenting a prefix rather than the root of the word, we lose a certain amount of force.America To-day, Observations and Reflections|William Archer
That he believes will be found by accenting the chasm between man and nature.Preaching and Paganism|Albert Parker Fitch
In the Scherzo are chimes, accenting the tune of the dance, and even castanets, besides triangle and other percussion.Symphonies and Their Meaning; Third Series, Modern Symphonies|Philip H. Goepp
British Dictionary definitions for accenting
- stress placed on certain notes in a piece of music, indicated by a symbol printed over the note concerned
- the rhythmic pulse of a piece or passage, usually represented as the stress on the first beat of each barSee also syncopation