- a combining form with the meanings “height,” “tip end,” “extremities of the body,” used in the formation of compound words: acrophobia.
Also especially before a vowel, acr-.
Origin of acro-
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- denoting something at a height, summit, top, tip, beginning, or endacropolis; acrogen
- denoting an extremity of the human bodyacromegaly
Word Origin for acro-
from Greek akros extreme, topmost
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
word-forming element meaning "highest, topmost, at the extremities," before vowels, acr-, from Greek akro- "pertaining to an end, extreme," comb. form of akros "at the end, at the top" (see acrid).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Top; summit; height:acrophobia.
- Tip; beginning:acrosome.
- Extremity of the body:acroparalysis.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.