- combative; striving to overcome in argument.
- straining for effect: agonistic humor.
- of or relating to ancient Greek athletic contests.
- Ethology. pertaining to the range of activities associated with aggressive encounters between members of the same species, including threat, attack, appeasement, or retreat.
Origin of agonistic
Examples from the Web for agonistic
Historical Examples of agonistic
These actions have been emancipated from incomplete take-offs and incorporated in ritualized courtship and agonistic behavior.
According to Aristotle himself, therefore, the Dialectician is agonistic and eristic, just as much as the Sophist.Aristotle
Moreover, most of the burrows were only a few feet apart and no agonistic behavior was witnessed.Summer Birds From the Yucatan Peninsula
Erwin E. Klaas
- striving for effect; strained
- eager to win in discussion or argument; competitive