- a system for transporting persons or cargo by aircraft, especially in an emergency.
- the persons or cargo so transported.
- the act or process of transporting such a load.
- a pump for raising liquids by the pressure of air forced into the pump chamber.
- to transport (persons or cargo) by airlift.
- of or relating to an airlift or airlifts: to increase the army's airlift capacity.
Origin of airlift
Examples from the Web for airlift
Contemporary Examples of airlift
“Air refueling and airlift assets were the literal pinch I am describing here,” the official said.First U.S. Stealth Jet Attack on Syria Cost More Than Indian Mission to Mars
September 24, 2014
So after a year of record killings, an ambitious rescue effort is underway to airlift the great beasts to safety.South Africa’s Great Rhino Airlift
August 17, 2014
That was when “instinct kicked in,” said Chief Master Sergeant James Ross, a friend and fellow airman from the 152nd Airlift Wing.Nevada Teacher Mike Landsberry Survived War. He Was Killed in Class.
October 23, 2013
"We don't have any trains or direct buses," said U.S. Marshal Pickering as he explained the airlift procedure.Madoff Secretary Annette Bongiorno Jailed Over Ponzi Millions
Allan Dodds Frank
December 21, 2010
Historical Examples of airlift
An airlift of supplies dropped by parachute was being organized.Prologue to an Analogue
The Soviet effort to capture Berlin by blockade was thwarted by the courageous Allied airlift.State of the Union Addresses of Harry S. Truman
Harry S. Truman
It looked as helpless as isolated Berlin did before the first airlift proved what men and planes could do in the way of transport.Space Tug
How long do you think it'd take, with the equipment you have, to airlift all of Jonkvank's loyal troops into the city?Ullr Uprising
Henry Beam Piper
The need to respond on a moment's notice adds to the value of airlift and prepositioned ships.Shock and Awe
Harlan K. Ullman
- the transportation by air of passengers, troops, cargo, etc, esp when other routes are blocked
- (tr) to transport by an airlift