- Biology. a type specimen of the sex opposite to that of the holotype.
- Immunology. an antibody of a given class having certain molecular sites shared by only some members of a species and therefore acting as an antigen to other members of the same species.
Origin of allotype
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- biology an additional type specimen selected because of differences from the original type specimen, such as opposite sex or morphological details
- immunol any of the variant forms of a particular immunoglobulin found among members of the same species
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Any of the genetically determined variants in the constant region of a given subclass of immunoglobulin that is detectable as an antigen by members of the same species having a different constant region.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.