- a rectangular piece or block, now usually of metal, having on its upper surface a letter or character in relief.
- such pieces or blocks collectively.
- a similar piece in a typewriter or the like.
- such pieces collectively.
- a printed character or printed characters: a headline in large type.
- face (defs. 21b, c).
- a genus or species that most nearly exemplifies the essential characteristics of a higher group.
- the one or more specimens on which the description and naming of a species is based.
- the inherited features of an animal or breed that are favorable for any given purpose: dairy type.
- a strain, breed, or variety of animal, or a single animal, belonging to a specific kind.
verb (used with object), typed, typ·ing.
verb (used without object), typed, typ·ing.
TAKE THIS QUIZ IF A DAZZLING VOCABULARY IS YOUR DESIDERATUM!
Origin of type
usage note for type
OTHER WORDS FROM type
Words nearby type
Definition for type (2 of 2)
Example sentences from the Web for type
The algorithms used to compute a biological age for each of the different data types—as well as the AgeMetric scoring mechanism—are either patented or patent-pending, Zhavoronkov said.What’s your biological age? A new app promises to reveal it—and help you slow the aging process|Jeremy Kahn|September 17, 2020|Fortune
Now that the York team has identified the chemistry of human body odor, they can develop new types of deodorants, says Rudden.Stinky success: Scientists identify the chemistry of B.O.|Alison Pearce Stevens|September 15, 2020|Science News For Students
I understood the kind of companies that got funded, the types that didn’t.‘How I Built This’ host Guy Raz on insights from some of the world’s most famous entrepreneurs|Rachel King|September 15, 2020|Fortune
For years, their front office has been led by a different type of executive.Everything Should Be On The Table For The Houston Rockets. Even James Harden’s Future.|Chris Herring (firstname.lastname@example.org)|September 14, 2020|FiveThirtyEight
However, this type of cell phone data can help agencies know how people behave as a storm approaches, perhaps giving them an opportunity to adjust their own approaches to evacuation orders, says Long.Political rhetoric may impact your hurricane preparedness|Ula Chrobak|September 11, 2020|Popular Science
It was the type of fall that should have resulted in bruises and maybe a sprained ankle.
You want less concentration in banking—at least the type that will screw the little guy and imperil the economy?
I hope that there is a trend away from the kind of “click-bait” type of essay that you often see on the Internet.Meghan Daum On Tackling The Unspeakable Parts Of Life|David Yaffe|December 6, 2014|DAILY BEAST
“It's insane to see what the extreme version of that type of helpless anger combined with mental illness can create,” Cook wrote.
Is he the type of character who would ever join the group permanently, or is he more of a drift-in, drift-out kind of guy?‘Walking Dead’ Showrunner Scott Gimple Teases ‘Darker, Weirder’ Times Ahead|Melissa Leon|December 2, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Meredith constructs a type-man as a hero, and makes this type express his purpose and meaning.English Literature|William J. Long
Thure and Bud were too familiar with this type of wilderness manhood to be worried in the least over their rough looks and dress.The Cave of Gold|Everett McNeil
The stout youth's standards were his own, and rigid, as is often the case with people of his type.The Rules of the Game|Stewart Edward White
For instance, there was a type of reasoning found everywhere, and everywhere alike.
These pins must be so placed that there will be no danger of them mashing the type.The Boy Craftsman|A. Neely Hall
British Dictionary definitions for type (1 of 2)
- a small block of metal or more rarely wood bearing a letter or character in relief for use in printing
- such pieces collectively
- the taxonomic group the characteristics of which are used for defining the next highest group, for example Rattus norvegicus (brown rat) is the type species of the rat genus Rattus
- (as modifier)a type genus; a type species