- of the surrounding area or environment: The tape recorder picked up too many ambient noises. The temperature in the display case was 20° lower than the ambient temperature.
- completely surrounding; encompassing: the ambient air.
- creating a certain reaction or mood, often a subconscious one, by being wherever people tend to be: ambient advertising on a shopping cart.
- pertaining to or noting sounds that create a peaceful and relaxed atmosphere.
- pertaining to or noting close and constant social contact and communication fostered by the Internet or the use of digital devices: social media sites that enable ambient intimacy and awareness.
Origin of ambient
Related Words for ambientenveloping, climate, element, ambience, surroundings, atmosphere, mood, trend, environment, feeling, moving, rotating, circling, surrounding, habitat, milieu, conditions, medium, neighborhood, space
Examples from the Web for ambient
Contemporary Examples of ambient
Lights will be ambient, allowing for the artwork to be spotlighted drawing specific attention to each unique piece.They’re Done With YouTube. Now Cats Storm the Art-World
January 25, 2014
Her 2013 release Lua Ya offers a beguiling type of Korean ambient vocal music, unlike anything else I heard during the year.The Strangest and Most Surprising Recordings of 2013
December 22, 2013
“I love Kanye—I met him at a fashion show,” Testino could be heard cooing before the ambient party-noise washed over them.The Kardashian Hegemony: Mario and Kim Take Hollywood
February 24, 2013
The office is gloriously quiet, and always nice and cool, given the ambient Seattle climate and the orientation toward the north.How I Write: Erik Larson Revisits ‘Isaac’s Storm’
October 31, 2012
These are hard times, and there's a lot of ambient anger looking for a target.Good Candidates, Bad Election
August 8, 2012
Historical Examples of ambient
Then, like an ambient fungus, it slithered off into the jungle undergrowth.Survival Tactics
Thus it probably was at the ambient temperature of the launch site.Pushbutton War
Joseph P. Martino
Ambient cried, bounding with his great strides across the lawn.The Author Of Beltraffio
He advises you therefore to name the ambient sea for the boundary of your hospital.The Tatler, Volume 3
An unutterably pure and lofty joy filled my soul, and I felt, as if we were out of the body floating on ambient clouds.Homo Sum, Complete
- of or relating to the immediate surroundingsthe ambient temperature was 15°C
- creating a relaxing atmosphereambient music
- informal ambient music
Word Origin for ambient
- Surrounding; encircling.