- having or showing pleasant, good-natured personal qualities; affable: an amiable disposition.
- friendly; sociable: an amiable greeting; an amiable gathering.
- agreeable; willing to accept the wishes, decisions, or suggestions of another or others.
- Obsolete. lovable or lovely.
Origin of amiable
Synonyms for amiableSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for amiable
Related Words for amiabilitygeniality, amenity, congeniality, cordiality, agreeableness, warmth, affability, pleasantness, sociability, friendliness, bonhomie
Examples from the Web for amiability
Historical Examples of amiability
"Sure, I understand," Garson replied, with an amiability equal to the Inspector's own.Within the Law
He is a remarkable cat, noted particularly for his intelligence and amiability.Concerning Cats
Helen M. Winslow
She would run herself into amiability and then stop, but not before.The Night Riders
This declaration of Mr. Garth's veracity was not conducive to amiability.The Shadow of a Crime
Mr. Caryll, the picture of amiability, smiled between spoonfuls.The Lion's Skin
- having or displaying a pleasant or agreeable nature; friendly