- the science that deals with the origins, physical and cultural development, biological characteristics, and social customs and beliefs of humankind.
- the study of human beings' similarity to and divergence from other animals.
- the science of humans and their works.
- Also called philosophical anthropology. the study of the nature and essence of humankind.
Origin of anthropology
Related Words for anthropologicalpersonal, animal, mortal, humanoid, individual, anthropoid, biped, hominid, hominoid, anthropomorphic, anthropomorphous, civilized, fallible, fleshly, forgivable, anthropological, bipedal, creatural, ethological, hominine
Examples from the Web for anthropological
Contemporary Examples of anthropological
Family is an anthropological fact—a socially and culturally related fact.Is Pope Francis Backpedaling on Gays?
November 19, 2014
The philosophical investigation of our anthropological reality is the cornerstone of higher education.Can Higher Education Really Save Our Humanity?
February 1, 2014
And not just the evil but also the anthropological mistakenness of communism.What Margaret Thatcher Meant to Eastern Europeans
April 10, 2013
Not in some grand gesture or anthropological experiment, just … a cup of coffee.An Easter Resolution
March 31, 2013
The fact that this is all true turns the story from one of intrigue and odyssey into one of anthropological significance as well.This Week’s Hot Reads, Dec. 31, 2012
Nicholas Mancusi, Jimmy So
December 31, 2012
Historical Examples of anthropological
But hitherto the anthropological aspect has been disregarded.The Witch-cult in Western Europe
Margaret Alice Murray
I do not ask ultimate truth of my anthropological definition.Progress and History
I have heard a rumour that the "Reader" is sold to the Anthropological Society.More Letters of Charles Darwin
Plato's is an anthropological dualism, Aristotle's, a monism.A History of Mediaeval Jewish Philosophy
How then fares it with the anthropological basis of Haeckel's whole system?At the Deathbed of Darwinism
- The scientific study of the origin, the behavior, and the physical, social, and cultural development of humans.
- The scientific study of humans, especially of their origin, their behavior, and their physical, social, and cultural development.
The scientific study of the origin, development, and varieties of human beings and their societies, particularly so-called primitive societies.