- the science that deals with the origins, physical and cultural development, biological characteristics, and social customs and beliefs of humankind.
- the study of human beings' similarity to and divergence from other animals.
- the science of humans and their works.
- Also called philosophical anthropology. the study of the nature and essence of humankind.
Origin of anthropology
Examples from the Web for anthropology
Contemporary Examples of anthropology
But I jumped off the science track early, and took only one class in anthropology in college.The Real-Life Raiders of the Lost Ark
November 14, 2014
Richard Kurin was a 19-year-old anthropology student in India when he experienced his material culture epiphany.We All Have a Rosebud in Our Pasts
October 15, 2014
Hobbes lacked the data of archaeology and anthropology to inform his theories about the dangerous nature of pre-state existence.War! What Is It Good For? A Lot
August 13, 2014
Beyond Baghdad the line drawn between Syria, now the property of France, and Iraq was more cartography than anthropology.Gertrude of Arabia, the Woman Who Invented Iraq
June 17, 2014
“He is in a row,” says Erin Kimmerle, an associate professor of anthropology with USF, who is leading the excavation.The Bone Collectors Get to Work at Florida’s Dozier School
September 6, 2013
Historical Examples of anthropology
Since that time the whole position of German anthropology has changed.Evolution in Modern Thought
A collection of works of any author is termed "an anthropology."A Book for All Readers
Ainsworth Rand Spofford
All that astronomy and anthropology that nobody ever even dreamed of before?The Galaxy Primes
Edward Elmer Smith
Well, he might, but it would not tell him what our anthropology tells us.Anything You Can Do ...
Gordon Randall Garrett
"Your anthropology ought to be better than that, Barry," he said.Adaptation
Dallas McCord Reynolds
Word Origin and History for anthropology
- The scientific study of the origin, the behavior, and the physical, social, and cultural development of humans.
- The scientific study of humans, especially of their origin, their behavior, and their physical, social, and cultural development.
The scientific study of the origin, development, and varieties of human beings and their societies, particularly so-called primitive societies.