- noting person: In Latin portō “I carry,” -ō is a personal ending.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of the personal pronoun, as English I, we, you, he, she, it, and they.
- a short news paragraph in a newspaper concerning a particular person, as one who is socially prominent, or a group of particular persons who are socially prominent.
- a brief, private notice in a newspaper or magazine, often addressed to a particular person, and typically bearing an abbreviated salutation and signature to preserve its confidentiality, usually printed in a special part of the classified advertising section.
- Also called personal ad . a similar notice, as in a newspaper or on a website, placed by a person seeking companionship, a spouse, etc.
- Usually personals. a column, page, or section, as of a newspaper, magazine, or website, featuring such notices or items.
Origin of personal
OTHER WORDS FROM personal
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH personalpersonal , personnel
Words nearby personal
How to use personal in a sentence
I explained in personal detail the demise I was experiencing.Trina Braxton To David Adefeso: ‘When You Attack One, You Attack Us All’|Hope Wright|September 17, 2020|Essence.com
The data above are consistent with previous surveys about location and personal data sharing among smartphone owners.Apple IDFA consent: Roughly 60% of consumers open to allowing tracking|Greg Sterling|September 11, 2020|Search Engine Land
Seeing someone advocate for a brand or products that they’re using is an incredibly personal form of marketing.Unpacking the TikTok algorithm: Three reasons why it’s the most addictive social network|Brian Freeman|September 11, 2020|Search Engine Watch
Find the one thing that Israel doesn’t have an answer to, doesn’t know how to manage and can’t get rid of, and make it your own personal vanity project.Erdogan Pitches Himself as Muslim World’s New Leader|Charu Kasturi|September 10, 2020|Ozy
Several claim that they were only cited because an officer took personal offense to something they’d said — usually about police and sometimes just quietly to themselves.Those Ticketed for Seditious Language Say Their Only Crime Was Talking Back|Kate Nucci|September 9, 2020|Voice of San Diego
The email appears to have been a relatively common attempt to gain personal information from a wide range of unwitting victims.Was Sony Hit With a Second Hack?|Shane Harris|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
And, as Gow adds wryly from his own personal experience, “To a huge extent they achieved that aim very well.”‘Nazi Cows’ Tried to Kill British Farmer|Tom Sykes|January 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Michael Steinbrick, a personal trainer with New York Sports Clubs, says he can always spot a newbie.How to Survive the New Year ‘Gympocalypse’|Tim Teeman|January 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Marrying another Jew was not just a personal simcha (joy), but one for the community.
It was hard not to take it as a sign, a personal comment on my own Jewish dating failings.
The feeling for the tiny things probably has in it the warmth of a young personal sympathy.
Make a personal appeal to your men and Godley's to make a supreme effort to hold their ground.Gallipoli Diary, Volume I|Ian Hamilton
The same two impulses are said to lie at the root of the elaborate art of personal adornment developed by savages.
One of the lower and mixed forms of artistic activity, in the case of the child and of the race alike, is personal adornment.
He respected her courage and obvious power to rise above the personal attitude of her sex.Ancestors|Gertrude Atherton