- a person who engages in the profession of architecture.
- a person professionally engaged in the design of certain large constructions other than buildings and the like: landscape architect; naval architect.
- the deviser, maker, or creator of anything: the architects of the Constitution of the United States.
- to plan, organize, or structure as an architect: The house is well architected.
Origin of architect
1555–65; < Latin architectus < Greek architéktōn, equivalent to Greek archi- archi- + tektōn builder, craftsman
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for architect
Encompass Develop, Design Construct, LLC A Kentucky-based architect, design and construction service.The 26 Next Hobby Lobbys
December 17, 2014
She married an architect and their children, Dialta as well as another daughter and two sons, were frequent guests at La Pietra.In Tussle Over Will, Mistress’s Family Takes a Bite Out of NYU
November 10, 2014
“This is a high priority for that facility,” the architect said.Can the Navy's $12 Billion Stealth Destroyer Stay Afloat?
October 22, 2014
Then, using his training and talent as an architect, he would draw up blueprints.The High Society Bank Robber of the 1800s
J. North Conway
October 19, 2014
He is the architect, the person who is going to be studied and studied and studied again.Tatiana Sorokko Is the Queen of Vintage Couture
October 8, 2014
I'll send young Rapson, the architect, along to make a design.Viviette
William J. Locke
The thing I most desired just then was to become an architect.My Double Life
He will not forget the builder while he admires the architect.A Dish Of Orts
It will be seen that Mr. Clark has been the architect of his own fortune.Cleveland Past and Present
I told the architect while he was at it to put in the real solid stuff—and plenty of it!The Harbor
- a person qualified to design buildings and to superintend their erection
- a person similarly qualified in another form of constructiona naval architect
- any planner or creatorthe architect of the expedition
- (tr) to plan or create (something, esp a computer system)
C16: from French architecte, from Latin architectus, from Greek arkhitektōn director of works, from archi- + tektōn workman; related to tekhnē art, skill
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for architect
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper