- a person who devises or executes designs, especially one who creates forms, structures, and patterns, as for works of art or machines.
- a schemer, intriguer, or plotter.
- designed or created by or carrying a label or identification of a designer, especially a fashion designer, but often mass-produced: designer jeans.
Origin of designer
Related Words for designerinventor, planner, producer, author, architect, engineer, maker, originator, fabricator, couturier, costumier, fashioner
Examples from the Web for designer
Contemporary Examples of designer
A few years back, designer John Galliano was fined by the government for sharing just such anti-semitic sentiments in public.Politicians Only Love Journalists When They're Dead
January 8, 2015
His neighbors include some of the other designer outposts one finds speckled around the area.The Photographer Who Gave Up Manhattan for Marrakech
January 6, 2015
Early in her career, she and designer Madeleine Vionnet sued a woman in Paris for copying some 20,000 sketches of their designs.The Big Business of Fashion Counterfeits
December 24, 2014
Last September, the "designer" duo got booed at Lanvin's Paris fashion show after they arrived late to their front row seats.
What designer West lacks in productivity, he more than makes up for in pure, unadulterated confidence and blind anger.
Historical Examples of designer
It was as if her designer were trying to make a craft invisible at sea.The Cruise of the Dry Dock
T. S. Stribling
A working manual for the man who wants to be his own designer and builder.Taxidermy
Leon Luther Pray
Undoubtedly its designer took that into account when he designed the gown.The Wall Street Girl
Frederick Orin Bartlett
Who could look upon such a scene and not praise the Designer?Mary Gray
All this work may be changed or modified to suit conditions and the taste of the designer.Carpentry for Boys
J. S. Zerbe
- a person who devises and executes designs, as for works of art, clothes, machines, etc
- (modifier) designed by and bearing the label or signature of a well-known fashion designerdesigner jeans
- (modifier) (of things, ideas, etc) having an appearance of fashionable trendinessdesigner pop songs; designer stubble
- (modifier) (of cells, chemicals, etc) designed (or produced) to perform a specific function or combat a specific problemdesigner insecticide
- (modifier) (of an animal) cross-bred for a specific purpose, such as looks, temperament, or likelihood of causing an allergydesigner dogs
- a person who devises plots or schemes; intriguer
1640s, "one who schemes;" agent noun from design (v.). Meaning "one who makes an artistic design or a construction plan" is from 1660s. In fashion, as an adjective, "bearing the label of a famous clothing designer" (thus presumed to be expensive or prestigious), from 1966. Designer drug attested from 1983.