- to distribute, place, or arrange according to kind or class; classify; sort.
- to furnish with a suitable assortment or variety of goods; make up of articles likely to suit a demand.
- Archaic. to group with others of the same or similar kind; connect or identify as of a similar class; associate (usually followed by with).
- to agree in sort or kind; be matched or suited.
- to associate; consort.
Origin of assort
Examples from the Web for assorter
Historical Examples of assorter
Thus the assorter receives the only passport on which he may leave the office for the day.
Below the till is a shelf of the width of the stand, for the convenience to the assorter next in front.
Notes wrongly grouped are thrown together and put up in white straps, for return next day to the first assorter.
No assorter is allowed to leave the room during business hours except on a pass, to be taken up by the doorkeeper.
- (tr) to arrange or distribute into groups of the same type; classify
- (intr usually foll by with) to fit or fall into a class or group; match
- (tr) to supply with an assortment of merchandise
- (tr) to put in the same category as others; group
- (intr usually foll by with) rare to keep company; consort