- having an unsymmetrical arrangement of atoms in a molecule.
- noting a carbon atom bonded to four different atoms or groups.
- (of a polymer) noting an atom or group that is within a polymer chain and is bonded to two different atoms or groups that are external to the chain.
Words nearby asymmetric
OTHER WORDS FROM asymmetrica·sym·met·ri·cal·ly, adverb
Examples from the Web for asymmetrical
Iconic looks include the metallic and asymmetrical bodysuits from the Aladdin Sane tour, the ice-blue suit from the Life on Mars?
But what about asymmetrical attacks, where the use of nuclear weapons is inappropriate?Memo to Bibi Netanyahu: It’s Time to Build an Arsenal of Awe|Lloyd Green|December 2, 2013|DAILY BEAST
But on Thursday, she was spotted having lunch in Miami with a brand new chin-length, asymmetrical blonde bob."Punk: Chaos to Couture" Ends As Fifth Most Popular Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Exhibit; Hermès Unveils $12,900 Basketball|The Fashion Beast Team|August 16, 2013|DAILY BEAST
But asymmetrical information is also a term of art in economics.
I will bring unconventional and asymmetrical warfare to those in LAPD uniform whether on or off duty.Rogue L.A. Cop’s Facebook Manifesto: ‘You Will Now Live the Life of Prey’|The Daily Beast|February 8, 2013|DAILY BEAST
Almost every Zoque woman is asymmetrical, from this mode of carrying babies, one shoulder being much higher than the other.In Indian Mexico (1908)|Frederick Starr
Labial palpi four or five-segmented; asymmetrical (membranous behind), apex acute.Handbook of Medical Entomology|William Albert Riley
About one-half of the measured examples had asymmetrical shoulders.Handbook of Alabama Archaeology: Part I Point Types|James W. Cambron
The head a e c of such an oblique piece is asymmetrical, the one side a e being less stretched than the other e c.The Organism as a Whole|Jacques Loeb
Always the architectural sense, though his rhythms are elliptical at times and he betrays a predilection for the asymmetrical.Unicorns|James Huneker
British Dictionary definitions for asymmetrical
- (of a molecule) having its atoms and radicals arranged unsymmetrically
- (of a carbon atom) attached to four different atoms or radicals so that stereoisomerism results
- involving chiral moleculesasymmetric synthesis