- Saint,a.d. 354–430, one of the Latin fathers in the early Christian Church; author; bishop of Hippo in N Africa.
- Saint,Austin, died a.d. 604, Roman monk: headed group of missionaries who landed in England a.d. 597 and began the conversion of the English to Christianity; first archbishop of Canterbury 601–604.
- a male given name, form of Augustus.
Examples from the Web for augustine
Contemporary Examples of augustine
In his City of God, Augustine was quite clear that in the hereafter humans would no longer need bathroom breaks.Sorry, Internet: Pope Francis Didn't Open Paradise to Pets
December 14, 2014
Augustine told me that a university official said they were treating the list like regular graffiti.Someone Is Writing Lists of ‘Rapists’ on Columbia’s Walls
May 14, 2014
And an unjust law, as Saint Augustine said, is no law at all.Alex Haley’s 1965 Playboy Interview with Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
January 19, 2014
Oh, and another thought on yesterday's post: I wonder if the binding on Saint Augustine's book would have seemed Middle Eastern.A Saint's Fancy Dress
March 7, 2013
I suspect his final opera omni in a critical German edition will equal in length that of Augustine, Aquinas, and Bonaventure.Benedict the Philosopher
March 3, 2013
Historical Examples of augustine
Augustine, Ambrose, Gregory, and Jerome—being the favourite subjects.English Villages
P. H. Ditchfield
He was engaged to his cousin Augustine Landois, who was also employed by Quenu.A Zola Dictionary
J. G. Patterson
That squint-eyed Augustine almost burst, the joke seemed to her so funny.
It became so stifling that Augustine ran out of spit and was forced to lick her lips.
Augustine pretended that she didn't understand, but her ears were wide open.
- Saint. 354–430 ad, one of the Fathers of the Christian Church; bishop of Hippo in North Africa (396–430), who profoundly influenced both Catholic and Protestant theology. His most famous works are Confessions, a spiritual autobiography, and De Civitate Dei, a vindication of the Christian Church. Feast day: Aug 28
- Saint. died 604 ad, Roman monk, sent to Britain (597 ad) to convert the Anglo-Saxons to Christianity and to establish the authority of the Roman See over the native Celtic Church; became the first archbishop of Canterbury (601–604). Feast day: May 26 or 27
- a member of an Augustinian order
c.1400 in reference to members of the religious order named for St. Augustine the Great (354-430), bishop of Hippo.