- inspiring reverence or admiration; of supreme dignity or grandeur; majestic: an august performance of a religious drama.
- venerable; eminent: an august personage.
Origin of august
Related Words for augustnessgrandiosity, dignity, breadth, pomp, glory, majesty, richness, beauty, gravity, greatness, brilliance, vastness, splendor, opulence, magnificence, nobility, transcendency, fineness, elevation, eminence
Examples from the Web for augustness
Historical Examples of augustness
The child murmured, Let me stay in the bright presence of your Augustness.Japanese Fairy Tales
Augustness, how should such a lady carry in her arms a bundle of firewood?
Augustness, the dull eyes of this slave are blinded with beauty.
Augustness, nothing but the harsh voice of the wood-cutter's daughter.
Augustness, nothing but the country wench and moon and snow.
- dignified or imposingan august presence
- of noble birth or high rankan august lineage
Word Origin for august
- the eighth month of the year, consisting of 31 days
Word Origin for August
eighth month, 1097, from Latin Augustus (mensis), sixth month of the later Roman calendar, renamed from Sextilis in 8 B.C.E. to honor emperor Augustus Caesar, literally "Venerable Caesar" (see august (adj.)). In England, the name replaced native Weodmonað "weed month."