- great brightness; luster: the brilliance of a fine diamond.
- excellence or distinction; conspicuous talent, mental ability, etc.
- splendor, elegance, or magnificence: the brilliance of the court of Louis XIV.
- Optics. that luminance of a body consisting of its saturation and brightness.
Origin of brilliance
Synonyms for brillianceSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for brilliance
Related Words for brilliancetalent, intelligence, wisdom, excellence, inventiveness, cleverness, inspiration, glory, grandeur, brilliancy, smarts, sagacity, smartness, shine, effulgence, radiance, luminosity, sparkle, blaze, luster
Examples from the Web for brilliance
Contemporary Examples of brilliance
None of them came close to the brilliance of what Beyoncé had accomplished.Bow Down, Bitches: How Beyoncé Turned an Elevator Brawl Into a Perfect Year
December 31, 2014
The brilliance of this scene, and this season, is that there are no good guys and bad guys.Julianna Margulies's Favorite 'The Good Wife' Scenes
August 11, 2014
As TechCrunch pointed out, the brilliance in its bare bones appeal could reach a worth of one billion dollars.The Zen of Yo
August 2, 2014
But this soft and greedy subversive organelle is no match for the brilliance of our scientists!The Fake Superbug Cure
June 21, 2014
Gen. George S. Patton is famed for his brilliance in World War II.The Price of Being a Patton: Wrestling With the Legacy of America’s Most Famous General
May 26, 2014
Historical Examples of brilliance
They achieve repartee the brilliance of which dazzles him to contemptible silence.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
Toward the south the waves moved with great velocity and brilliance.The Cruise of the Dry Dock
T. S. Stribling
The sun shone with a brilliance that to such eyes as mine was a very mockery.Bardelys the Magnificent
Their faces shone with a brilliance of awareness and he knew that they loved him.Pleasant Journey
Richard F. Thieme
For the brilliance of its social life there were several reasons.The Colonial Architecture of Philadelphia
- great brightness; radiance
- excellence or distinction in physical or mental ability; exceptional talent
- splendour; magnificencethe brilliance of the royal court
- physics a former term for luminance