Origin of autonomic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- occurring involuntarily or spontaneously
- of or relating to the autonomic nervous system
- Also: autonomous (of plant movements) occurring as a result of internal stimuli
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for autonomical
1832, "pertaining to autonomy" (q.v.); used mostly in physiology. Autonomical is recorded from 1650s.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Functionally independent; not under voluntary control.
- Relating to the autonomic nervous system.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.