- self-governing; independent; subject to its own laws only.
- pertaining to an autonomy, or a self-governing community.
- having autonomy; not subject to control from outside; independent: a subsidiary that functioned as an autonomous unit.
- (of a vehicle) navigated and maneuvered by a computer without a need for human control or intervention under a range of driving situations and conditions: an autonomous vehicle.
- existing and functioning as an independent organism.
- growing naturally or spontaneously, without cultivation.
Origin of autonomous
Examples from the Web for autonomous
Contemporary Examples of autonomous
Finally free of Japanese interference, Korea elected its first autonomous government in almost half a century.Propaganda, Protest, and Poisonous Vipers: The Cinema War in Korea
December 30, 2014
New York cannot be personified; it is not an autonomous entity.New York Is Taylor Swift’s New Boyfriend
October 28, 2014
Our aim is that one day the mission will be autonomous, but we have a long way to go to reach that.Are European Rescuers Enticing Migrants to Their Deaths?
Barbie Latza Nadeau
September 7, 2014
Since then, it has been part of Ukraine, but as an autonomous republic.Vladimir Putin’s Seizure of Crimea Is Based on Pure Fiction
March 18, 2014
By 2026, a chart he included noted, we could have “100% autonomous penetration, utopian society.”Tesla Looks Like a Bubble, Will It Pop?
March 1, 2014
Historical Examples of autonomous
What does "the autonomous development of small nations" mean to them?
First, we must respect one another as autonomous, deciding persons.Herein is Love
Reuel L. Howe
But the autonomous activity was revived by the action of light on the pulvinule.Life Movements in Plants
Sir Jagadis Chunder Bose
At last their ideal of autonomous Bohemia seemed at the point of realization.
And the autonomous "I" exists no longer, except as a unit in the colony of cells which are "We."Unicorns
- (of a community, country, etc) possessing a large degree of self-government
- of or relating to an autonomous community
- independent of others
- biology existing as an organism independent of other organisms or parts
- a variant spelling of autonomic (def. 3)