- self-governing; independent; subject to its own laws only.
- pertaining to an autonomy, or a self-governing community.
- having autonomy; not subject to control from outside; independent: a subsidiary that functioned as an autonomous unit.
- (of a vehicle) navigated and maneuvered by a computer without a need for human control or intervention under a range of driving situations and conditions: an autonomous vehicle.
- existing and functioning as an independent organism.
- growing naturally or spontaneously, without cultivation.
Origin of autonomous
1790–1800; < Greek autónomos “with laws of one's own, independent,” equivalent to auto- auto-1 + nóm(os) “law, custom” + -os adj. suffix
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (of a community, country, etc) possessing a large degree of self-government
- of or relating to an autonomous community
- independent of others
- biology existing as an organism independent of other organisms or parts
- a variant spelling of autonomic (def. 3)
C19: from Greek autonomos living under one's own laws, from auto- + nomos law
Word Origin and History for autonomously
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper