- suitable or ready for use; of use or service; at hand: I used whatever tools were available.
- readily obtainable; accessible: available resources.
- having sufficient power or efficacy; valid.
- Archaic. efficacious; profitable; advantageous.
Origin of available
SynonymsSee more synonyms for available on Thesaurus.com
1. accessible, usable, handy.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for available
Maxwell was not available for comment but has described all claims against her as “untrue” and “obvious lies.”From Playboy Prince to Dirty Old Man?
January 5, 2015
Maxwell was not available for comment describes all claims against her as “untrue” and “obvious lies.”Buckingham Palace Disputes Sex Allegations Against Prince ‘Randy Andy’
January 4, 2015
Local life in these places is not defined by their sports team or by their natural beauty—by things only available locally.Will Texas Stay Texan?
December 29, 2014
Take fiscal year 2013, the last year the finalized data is available.Merry Christmas, Defense Contractors!
Veronique de Rugy
December 22, 2014
“The Center was actually able to get me into the hospital and get me the new medications that were available,” Thom said.The LGBT Center That Changed Our Lives
December 22, 2014
They had also taken the two available guns, and nearly all the ammunition.Explorations in Australia
Lamborn Service in all its phases is available to you as a jobber.About sugar buying for Jobbers
B. W. Dyer
Statistics are not available, because in Galicia they have not been kept from this point of view.The Truth About Woman
C. Gasquoine Hartley
Comments and background to all the plays, and links to the other plays are available here.The Indian Princess
James Nelson Barker
Then they sent down volley after volley from every available weapon.
- obtainable or accessible; capable of being made use of; at hand
- US politics derogatory suitable for public office, usually as a result of having an inoffensive characterSmith was a particularly available candidate
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for available
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper