- a charge paid by the master of a ship for such services as pilotage or towage.
- an expense, partial loss, or damage to a ship or cargo.
- the incidence of such an expense or loss to the owners or their insurers.
- an equitable apportionment among all the interested parties of such an expense or loss.Compare general average, particular average.
verb (used with object), av·er·aged, av·er·ag·ing.
verb (used without object), av·er·aged, av·er·ag·ing.
- to come out of a security or commodity transaction with a profit or without a loss.
- to reach an average or other figure: His taxes should average out to about a fifth of his income.
IS YOUR VOCABULARY AS STRONG AS A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT? TRY THIS QUIZ TO SEE!
Idioms for average
Origin of average
OTHER WORDS FROM average
Words nearby average
Example sentences from the Web for average
Well over a thousand holes in, I average less than four strokes per hole.Lost For Thousands of Strokes: 'Desert Golfing' Is 'Angry Birds' as Modern Art|Alec Kubas-Meyer|January 2, 2015|DAILY BEAST
On average, the vaccine has an efficacy of about 60 percent.When You Get the Flu This Winter, You Can Blame Anti-Vaxxers|Kent Sepkowitz|January 1, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Average age ranges from 45 to 65, with her youngest client at 18 and the oldest in her 80s.
Ramos was 38—nearly two decades older than the average recruit.
All because Murthy believes that gun violence, which kills an average of 86 Americans every day, is a public health issue.
I have walked, on an average, about ten miles a-day since at Grfenberg.Every Man his own Doctor|R. T. Claridge
They have done better than the average archaeologist with one or another find to his credit.
Eight parts of ore furnish, on an average, about one of schlich.A Dictionary of Arts, Manufactures and Mines|Andrew Ure
As they clasped warmly upon his, Average Jones' reason lost its balance.Average Jones|Samuel Hopkins Adams
The total number of remembered dreams varies considerably with different observers, some attaining an average of ten per night.
British Dictionary definitions for average
- a loss incurred or damage suffered by a ship or its cargo at sea
- the equitable apportionment of such loss among the interested parties