- any of a group of barbituric acid derivatives, used in medicine as sedatives and hypnotics.
Origin of barbiturate
Related Words for barbituratesmedication, opiate, narcotic, sedative, dope, drug, hypnotic, analgesic, anodyne, depressant, downer, tranquillizer, barbiturate, pacifier, calmative, bromide, soporific, benzodiazepine, nightcap
Examples from the Web for barbiturates
Contemporary Examples of barbiturates
She had taken an overdose of barbiturates, whether deliberately or accidentally it was impossible to tell.Gertrude of Arabia, the Woman Who Invented Iraq
June 17, 2014
Like all barbiturates, it can overwhelm alertness to the point of stopping the urge to breathe.The Death Penalty’s Gruesome Truth
February 6, 2014
His sister, Leila, was found dead in a London hotel room in 2001 after taking an overdose of barbiturates.Prince Ali Reza Pahlavi Suicide: Tragic End to Iran's Dynasty
January 5, 2011
In July, with their adult children standing next to them, they drank a cocktail of barbiturates and sank into the deepest sleep.Bring On the Death Panels!
September 8, 2009
- a derivative of barbituric acid, such as phenobarbital, used in medicine as a sedative, hypnotic, or anticonvulsant
Word Origin and History for barbiturates
1928 (morphine barbiturate is from 1918), from German, coined 1863 by chemist Adolf von Baeyer (1835-1917) from Barbitursäure "barbituric acid," itself coined by Baeyer, perhaps from woman's name Barbara, or perhaps from Latin barbata, in Medieval Latin usnea barbata, literally "bearded moss." Second element is because it was obtained from uric acid. With chemical ending -ate (3).
barbiturate(bär-bĭch′ər-ĭt, -ə-rāt′, bär′bĭ-tur′ĭt, -āt′)
- A salt or ester of barbituric acid.
- Any of a group of barbituric acid derivatives that act as central nervous system depressants and are used as sedatives or hypnotics.
- Any of a group of drugs that act as depressants of the central nervous system, are highly addictive, and are used primarily as sedatives and anticonvulsants. Phenobarbital and pentobarbital are examples of barbiturates.