- the seat on which the players of a team sit during a game while not playing.
- thequality and number of the players of a team who are usually used as substitutes: A weak bench hurt their chances for the championship.
verb (used with object)
Words nearby bench
Idioms for bench
- serving as a judge in a court of law; presiding.
- Sports. (of a player) not participating in play, either for part or all of a game.
Origin of bench
OTHER WORDS FROM benchbench·less, adjectiveun·bench, verb (used with object)
Definition for bench (2 of 2)
Examples from the Web for bench
At night jineteras stalk the promenade in search of tourists while a trumpet from a bench serenades the proceedings.The Life and Hard Times Of The Family A Cuban Defector Left Behind|Brin-Jonathan Butler|December 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Then you have to get judges onto the bench who agree with you.
But watching this from what I call my “bench on the beach” in Delaware I had been watching [Ebola coverage] all summer.
Through most of that session he was lying on a bench, his hands and feet bound with tape.A Torture Survivor on Ukraine's Tortured Ceasefire|Anna Nemtsova|September 11, 2014|DAILY BEAST
He tried to make a comeback with the Eagles during the 1946 season, but he weighed 225 and was soon riding the bench.Football Great Bob Suffridge Wanders Through the End Zone of Life|Paul Hemphill|September 6, 2014|DAILY BEAST
But who could help it, when there were an hundred judges on the bench?The Jest Book|Mark Lemon
Sits on the bench, I believe; rides a horse in the Yeomanry; very good-looking, quite intelligent.Yonder|Emily Hilda Young
He led her to a bench in the middle of the walk that runs about the basin.Pierre and Luce|Romain Rolland
Then he came out on the platform, and sank down on a bench, with his grip at his feet.First at the North Pole|Edward Stratemeyer
When I returned I perceived that my paraphernalia had been relegated to the bench behind, and the place taken by Operoff himself.Youth|Leo Tolstoy
British Dictionary definitions for bench
- a judge or magistrate sitting in court in a judicial capacity
- judges or magistrates collectively
Word Origin for bench
Idioms and Phrases with bench
see on the bench; warm the bench.