[bahy-sahy-klik, -sik-lik or bahy-sahy-kli-kuh l, -sik-li-kuh l]
- consisting of or having two cycles or circles.
- Botany. in two whorls, as the stamens of a flower.
- pertaining to or resembling a bicycle.
Origin of bicyclic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of, forming, or formed by two circles, cycles, etc
- (of stamens, petals, etc) arranged in two whorls
- (of a chemical compound) having atoms arranged in two rings fused together with at least two atoms common to each ringnaphthalene is bicyclic
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Relating to a compound having two closed rings. Naphthalene is a bicyclic compound.
- Composed of or arranged in two distinct whorls, as the petals of a flower.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.