- an elder brother.
- (sometimes initial capital letters) a man who individually or as a member of an organized group undertakes to sponsor or assist a boy in need of help or guidance.
- (usually initial capital letters) the head of a totalitarian regime that keeps its citizens under close surveillance.
- (usually initial capital letters) the aggregate of officials and policy makers of a powerful and pervasive state.
- Citizens Band Radio Slang. a police officer or police car.
Origin of big brother
Related Words for big brotherauthoritarian, despot, dictator, oppressor, strongman, totalitarian, tyrant
Examples from the Web for big brother
Historical Examples of big brother
"And he's got a bully girl, too, now that she's got down to brass tacks," said Alec in big-brother style.The Fifth Wheel
Olive Higgins Prouty
- a person, organization, etc, that exercises total dictatorial control
- a television gameshow format in which a small number of people living in accommodation sealed off from the outside world are constantly monitored by TV cameras. Viewers vote each week to expel a person from the group until there is only one person left, who wins a cash prize
Word Origin for Big Brother
"ubiquitous and repressive but apparently benevolent authority" first recorded 1949, from George Orwell's novel "Nineteen Eighty-Four."