- causing or marked by boredom: a boring discussion; to have a boring time.
Origin of boring1
SynonymsSee more synonyms for boring on Thesaurus.com
dull, tiresome, tedious.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for boringness
Ian McEwan: Well, I think one way… I think you have to develop a carapace of boringness.Hanging Out with Ian McEwan: Full Transcript
The Daily Beast Video
April 14, 2010
- the act or process of making or enlarging a hole
- the hole made in this way
- (often plural) a fragment, particle, chip, etc, produced during boring
- dull; repetitious; uninteresting
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for boringness
mid-15c., "action of piercing," from bore (v.). From 1853 in reference to animals that bore; 1840 in the sense "wearying, causing ennui."
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper