- a labium.
- the outer or the inner margin of the aperture of a gastropod's shell.
verb (used with object), lipped, lip·ping.
verb (used without object), lipped, lip·ping.
Words nearby lip
Idioms for lip
- to face misfortune bravely and resolutely: Throughout the crisis they kept a stiff upper lip.
- to suppress the display of any emotion.
Origin of lip
OTHER WORDS FROM liplip·less, adjectivelip·like, adjectiveout·lip, verb (used with object), out·lipped, out·lip·ping.un·der·lip, noun
Definition for button up (2 of 2)
- a young or undeveloped mushroom.
- any protuberant part of a fungus.
verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
Origin of button
OTHER WORDS FROM button
British Dictionary definitions for button up (1 of 3)
verb (tr, adverb)
British Dictionary definitions for button up (2 of 3)
Derived forms of buttonbuttoner, nounbuttonless, adjectivebuttony, adjective
Word Origin for button
British Dictionary definitions for button up (3 of 3)
- either of the two fleshy folds surrounding the mouth, playing an important role in the production of speech sounds, retaining food in the mouth, etcRelated adjective: labial
- (as modifier)lip salve
- to stifle one's feelings
- to be annoyed or irritated
verb lips, lipping or lipped
Derived forms of liplipless, adjectiveliplike, adjective
Word Origin for lip
Medical definitions for button up (1 of 2)
Medical definitions for button up (2 of 2)
Idioms and Phrases with button up (1 of 3)
Close securely, fasten, as in The house was all buttoned up, or Button up your coat—it's very cold. [Late 1500s]
Also, button one's lip. Hold one's tongue, keep quiet. For example, Please button your lip about the surprise. A variant of this usage, button one's mouth, dates from the 17th century. [Mid-1800s]
Finish successfully, as in I've got this report all buttoned up. [c. 1940]
Idioms and Phrases with button up (2 of 3)
In addition to the idioms beginning with button
- button one's lip
- button up
- cute as a button
- have all one's buttons
- on the button
- push (press) someone's buttons
- push the panic button
Idioms and Phrases with button up (3 of 3)
In addition to the idioms beginning with lip
- lips are sealed, one's
- lip service
- button up (one's lip)
- keep a stiff upper lip
- lick one's chops (lips)
- pass one's lips