- Golgotha, the place where Jesus was crucified. Luke 23:33.
- (often lowercase) a sculptured representation of the Crucifixion, usually erected in the open air.
- (lowercase) an experience or occasion of extreme suffering, especially mental suffering.
Origin of Calvary
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for calvary
Smith rehired at least two leaders who had been fired by other Calvary churches for sexual misconduct.
Other Calvary pastors have been removed when they were convicted of similar crimes.
Kestler was, at the time, a star player in Calvary's growing radio network.
When Heitzig departed to pastor another Calvary church in California, he chose Pete Nelson as his successor.
The accusations kept getting tawdrier, but, still, Calvary has seemed willing to stand behind its men.
"The best plan would be to climb to the Calvary," said M. de Guersaint.The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete
It was understood that the left wing of the 1st corps was to take care of the Calvary of Illy.The Downfall
An impassioned mother, she had been ascending her calvary ever since her son's death.Fruitfulness
What matter if it was hard; if it was difficult; if it was bitter as Marah and steep as Calvary?
Such was the first step on the Calvary he intended to ascend.
- (often capital) a representation of Christ's crucifixion, usually sculptured and in the open air
- any experience involving great suffering
- the place just outside the walls of Jerusalem where Jesus was crucifiedAlso called: Golgotha
from Late Latin Calvāria, translation of Greek kranion skull, translation of Aramaic gulgulta Golgotha
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for calvary
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.