- to solicit votes, subscriptions, opinions, or the like from.
- to examine carefully; investigate by inquiry; discuss; debate.
- to solicit votes, opinions, or the like.
- a soliciting of votes, orders, or the like.
- a campaign for election to government office.
- close inspection; scrutiny.
Origin of canvass
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for canvasser
A canvasser will knock on their door and ask voters to sign the card.
He noted that the turnout promoting effect of a canvasser knocking on a door decays within ten days to be almost minimal.
I hit the streets of San Francisco with canvasser Cynthia Ford, who began collecting signatures for the group in March.The Web’s Stealth Presidential Race
July 23, 2011
Of course, their canvasser called to see you, didn't he, Kenyon?'A Woman Intervenes
I needn't have taken the job of canvasser in the first place.Mary Louise and Josie O'Gorman
Emma Speed Sampson
Canvasser Fulda moved to lay the resolution on the table—lost.
I will get you a better office and find a proper publisher and canvasser.The Grandchildren of the Ghetto
The canvasser, when he wants to know a man's opinions, goes and asks him.All Things Considered
G. K. Chesterton
- to solicit votes, orders, advertising, etc, from
- to determine the feelings and opinions of (voters before an election, etc), esp by conducting a survey
- to investigate (something) thoroughly, esp by discussion or debate
- mainly US to inspect (votes) officially to determine their validity
- a solicitation of opinions, votes, sales orders, etc
- close inspection; scrutiny
Word Origin and History for canvasser
c.1500, from alternative spelling of canvas (n.) and probably meaning, originally, "to toss or sift in a canvas sheet," hence "to shake out, examine carefully" (1520s); "to solicit votes" (1550s). The spelling with a double -s- dates from 16c. Cf. Old French canabasser "to examine carefully," literally "to sift through canvas." Related: Canvassed; canvassing. As a noun related to this, attested from c.1600.