- not paying enough attention to what one does: a careless typist.
- not exact, accurate, or thorough: careless work.
- done or said heedlessly or negligently; unconsidered: a careless remark.
- not caring or troubling; having no care or concern; unconcerned (usually followed by of, about, or in): careless of the rights of others; careless about one's behavior; careless in speech.
- possessed or caused without effort or art; unstudied: careless beauty.
- Archaic. free from anxiety.
Origin of careless
Synonyms for carelessSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for careless
Related Words for carelessindifferent, indiscreet, inaccurate, wasteful, hasty, irresponsible, forgetful, lackadaisical, negligent, nonchalant, thoughtless, lax, sloppy, casual, reckless, naive, absent-minded, abstracted, cursory, heedless
Examples from the Web for careless
Contemporary Examples of careless
Giving prisoners a chance at redemption is a good idea; but we were too careless, and innocent people suffered because it it.Want President Hillary? Then Primary Her
November 24, 2014
Now “Marie Claire” says “Newsweek” is guilty of careless reporting.Who’s Telling The Truth About Somaly Mam? A Smashed Icon, A Media Brawl—and a Comeback
September 19, 2014
Victims of careless ‘dox’ attempts say the consequences are miserable.Web Sleuths Get It Wrong Again in Ferguson
August 15, 2014
One hopes we will never have to repeat such a careless cruise ship disaster to find out.The Racism of Disaster Coverage
Barbie Latza Nadeau
July 25, 2014
In July 2008, candidate Obama promised he would be “as careful getting out of Iraq as we were careless getting in.”Blame The Obama Doctrine For Iraq
June 29, 2014
Historical Examples of careless
Yet the great lady is not careless of engagements, and the wait is never prolonged.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
With a careless nod to Halbert, she took Robert's arm, and left the schoolhouse.Brave and Bold
But what troubled her most of all was that he should be so careless about the wrong he had done, whatever it was.Weighed and Wanting
His puppets no longer interest him; he is careless of characterization.The Man Shakespeare
"Let me know about it before you do it," said Linda with a careless laugh.Her Father's Daughter
- done with or acting with insufficient attention; negligent
- (often foll by in, of, or about) unconcerned in attitude or action; heedless; indifferent (to)she's very careless about her clothes
- (usually prenominal) carefree
- (usually prenominal) unstudied; artlessan impression of careless elegance