- not paying enough attention to what one does: a careless typist.
- not exact, accurate, or thorough: careless work.
- done or said heedlessly or negligently; unconsidered: a careless remark.
- not caring or troubling; having no care or concern; unconcerned (usually followed by of, about, or in): careless of the rights of others; careless about one's behavior; careless in speech.
- possessed or caused without effort or art; unstudied: careless beauty.
- Archaic. free from anxiety.
Origin of careless
Synonyms for carelessSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for careless
Related Words for carelesslyhaphazardly, negligently, nonchalantly, hastily, sloppily, irresponsibly, offhandedly, rashly, inattentively
Examples from the Web for carelessly
Contemporary Examples of carelessly
According to Indian media reports, the Italians were accused of carelessly shooting like “cowboys at sea”.Italian Pirate-Fighting Marines On Trial
Barbie Latza Nadeau
February 14, 2014
But the reporting, based on the same vague words, carelessly checked and sourced, remains unchanged.Bernard-Henri Levy: Have I Become an Undesirable in Libya?
March 27, 2013
And while it believes in limited government, it is not carelessly antigovernment.It's An Exciting Time to be a Republican
March 3, 2013
Never has such a strong political hand been so needlessly, carelessly, calamitously thrown away.Simon Schama on How Obama Threw It All Away in the Denver Debate
October 5, 2012
And you must retie binds with those you carelessly discarded.Your Horoscopes: May 15-21
Starsky + Cox
May 14, 2011
Historical Examples of carelessly
"Sing the song you gave us the other night at our house," he said carelessly.Weighed and Wanting
Carelessly he stepped to the back of the stall, touching Westley as he passed.Thoroughbreds
W. A. Fraser
"That has not yet been decided," replied Kingozi carelessly.The Leopard Woman
Stewart Edward White
Already, he had carelessly dropped the thoughtfulness by which he had won her.Dust
Mr. and Mrs. Haldeman-Julius
"And before we know who she is to be," said Mrs. Beaumont, carelessly.Tales And Novels, Volume 5 (of 10)
- done with or acting with insufficient attention; negligent
- (often foll by in, of, or about) unconcerned in attitude or action; heedless; indifferent (to)she's very careless about her clothes
- (usually prenominal) carefree
- (usually prenominal) unstudied; artlessan impression of careless elegance