- noting or pertaining to the present era, beginning 65 million years ago and characterized by the ascendancy of mammals.
- the Cenozoic Era or group of systems.
Origin of Cenozoic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for cenozoic
No dinosaurs are definitely known to have crossed the line into the Cenozoic era.Geology
William J. Miller
Miocene , that period of the Cenozoic era when apes were transformed into man.Unexplored!
In the early part of the fourth great geological Time--the Cenozoic--nearly the whole continent was above water.
These several stages of the cenozoic were also characterised by great vicissitudes of geography and climate.The Meeting-Place of Geology and History
Sir John William Dawson
In consequence giant carnivores would find no field for action in the Cenozoic world, and hence they have not been evolved.Dinosaurs
William Diller Matthew
- of, denoting, or relating to the most recent geological era, which began 65 000 000 years ago: characterized by the development and increase of the mammals
- the Cenozoic the Cenozoic era
C19: from Greek kainos new, recent + zōikos, from zōion animal
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for cenozoic
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The most recent era of geologic time, from about 65 million years ago to the present. The Cenozoic Era is characterized by the formation of modern continents and the diversification of mammals and plants. Grasses also evolved during the Cenozoic. The climate was warm and tropical toward the beginning of the era and cooled significantly in the second half, leading to several ice ages. Humans first appeared near the end of this era. See Chart at geologic time.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.