- a light, open carriage, usually with a hood, especially a one-horse, two-wheeled carriage for two persons; shay.
- post chaise.
- a chaise longue, especially a light one used out of doors.
- Also called chaise d'or [sheyz dawr] /ʃeɪz ˈdɔr/. Numismatics.
- a gold coin of France, first issued in the early 14th century, which bears a figure of the king seated on a large throne.
- an Anglo-Gallic copy of this coin, issued by Edward III.
Origin of chaise
- Père Fran·çois d'Aix de [frahn-swa de duh] /frɑ̃ˈswa dɛ də/, 1624–1709, French Roman Catholic priest: confessor to Louis XIV.
Related Words for chaisebunk, mattress, cot, crib, couch, berth, bassinet, sack, platform, cradle, davenport, divan, pallet, trundle, chaise, bedstead, bus, vehicle, train, car
Examples from the Web for chaise
Contemporary Examples of chaise
Sprawled on chaise lounges with their knees high in the air and their legs spread wide.Powerful Congressman Writes About ‘Fleshy Breasts’
January 7, 2015
When he came back, he testified, they were getting coital on a chaise longue.Dubai's Sex Crackdown
August 16, 2009
Historical Examples of chaise
And her agitated hand waved to them from a chaise window, and she was gone.A Tale of Two Cities
Your messenger finds me just setting out for London: the chaise at the door.Clarissa, Volume 3 (of 9)
The horse was accordingly put in, and the chaise brought round to the door.
In five minutes' time the chaise was ready, and this good scapegrace in his saddle.
Barnaby, my man, help me to put him in the chaise, and we'll ride home together.'
Word Origin for chaise
Word Origin and History for chaise
1701, "pleasure carriage," from French chaise "chair" (15c.), dialectal variant of chaire (see chair (n.)) due to 15c.-16c. Parisian accent swapping of -r- and -s-, a habit often satirized by French writers. French chair and chaise then took respectively the senses of "high seat, throne, pulpit" and "chair, seat." Chaise lounge (1800) is corruption of French chaise longue "long chair," the second word confused in English with lounge.