- any symbol, as a number, letter, punctuation mark, etc., that represents data and that, when encoded, is usable by a machine.
- one of a set of basic symbols that singly or in a series of two or more represents data and, when encoded, is usable in a computer.
- (of a part or role) representing a personality type, especially by emphasizing distinctive traits, as language, mannerisms, physical makeup, etc.
- (of an actor or actress) acting or specializing in such roles.
verb (used with object) Archaic.
Words nearby character
Idioms for character
- in harmony with one's personal character or disposition: Such behavior is not in character for him.
- in accordance with the role or personality assumed in a performance: an actor in character.
- out of harmony with one's personal character or disposition: Her remarks were out of character.
- away from the role or personality assumed in a performance: The actor stepped out of character.
Origin of character
OTHER WORDS FROM characterchar·ac·ter·less, adjectiveun·char·ac·tered, adjective
synonym study for character
Examples from the Web for characterless
What distinguishes him is a watchful observation, a chilling correctness, enclosing everything in characterless outlines.The History of Modern Painting, Volume 1 (of 4)|Richard Muther
The rest of the buildings were destroyed after the Revolution and have since been replaced by characterless structures.The Spell of the Heart of France|Andr Hallays
Here might be seen the characterless characters of the place, in which every prison is sure to abound.In Jail with Charles Dickens|Alfred Trumble
Characterless, backboneless, negative kind of fellows with neither wisdom nor stature abound.London's Underworld|Thomas Holmes
Her soap, so characterless in the chilly morning basin lathered freely in the warmth and was fragrant in the steamy air.Pointed Roofs|Dorothy Richardson
British Dictionary definitions for characterless
- reputation, esp a good reputation
- (as modifier)character assassination
Derived forms of charactercharacterful, adjectivecharacterless, adjective
Word Origin for character
Medicine definitions for characterless
Science definitions for characterless
Culture definitions for characterless
Idioms and Phrases with characterless
see in character; out of character.