- changing in luster or color: chatoyant silk.
- Jewelry. reflecting a single streak of light when cut in a cabochon.
- Jewelry. a cabochon-cut gemstone having this reflected streak, as a chrysoberyl cat's-eye.
Origin of chatoyant
Related Words for chatoyantsilky, polished, slick, sleek, bright, gleaming, lustrous, glistening, flashing, glimmering, shimmering, shining, smooth, chatoyant, scintillating, brilliant, glassy, glazed, silken, burnished
Examples from the Web for chatoyant
Historical Examples of chatoyant
Cymophane, or chatoyant chrysoberyl, may also be asteriated.
She invariably wore gloves out of doors and a veil to conceal the chatoyant eyes.The Green Eyes of Bst
There was a river there too; not a little bolt of chatoyant silk like the Avon, which they would have called a "crick" back there.
The chatoyant eyes of the leopard stared back, a flicker of restlessness in their brilliant yellow deeps.The Adventures of Kathlyn
- having changeable lustre; twinkling
- (of a gem, esp a cabochon) displaying a band of light reflected off inclusions of other minerals
- a gemstone with a changeable lustre, such as a cat's eye