- any photomechanical process of printing from a plate coated with gelatin.
- the plate used for this.
- a print made from such a plate.
- to produce (a print) by collotype; albertype; artotype; heliotype.
Origin of collotype
Examples from the Web for collotype
Historical Examples of collotype
With frontispiece in colour and thirty-five portraits in collotype.
With thirty-two portraits in collotype and frontispiece in colour.
This volume contains reproduction in colour of sixteen Jacobite pictures and seven portraits in collotype.
Four portraits in colour, twenty-five in collotype and several letters in facsimile.
Collotype, kol′o-tīp, n. a photographic process much used for book illustrations and advertising purposes.
- Also called: photogelatine process a method of lithographic printing from a flat surface of hardened gelatine: used mainly for fine-detail reproduction in monochrome or colour
- a print made using this process