- a theory or system of government according to which each commune is virtually an independent state and the nation is merely a federation of such states.
- the principles or practices of communal ownership.
- strong allegiance to one's own ethnic group rather than to society as a whole.
Origin of communalism
Examples from the Web for communalism
Historical Examples of communalism
Ought we to minimise the communalism of the medival village?The Agrarian Problem in the Sixteenth Century
Richard Henry Tawney
Its communalism is guaranteed by, because it rests on, its individualism.
A small ragged urchin asked him the time, and that casual touch of communalism made him feel more at home.King John of Jingalo
It is an interesting fact that communalism has been confined to animals of comparatively low organization.Man And His Ancestor
In the Orient the principle of communalism gained such headway as effectually to prevent the introduction of this new principle.
- a system or theory of government in which the state is seen as a loose federation of self-governing communities
- an electoral system in which ethnic groups vote separately for their own representatives
- loyalty to the interests of one's own ethnic group rather than to society as a whole
- the practice or advocacy of communal living or ownership