- having an excessively favorable opinion of one's abilities, appearance, etc.
- having an opinion.
- fanciful; whimsical.
- Obsolete. intelligent; clever.
Origin of conceited
SynonymsSee more synonyms for conceited on Thesaurus.com
1. vain, proud, egotistical, self-important, self-satisfied.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for conceitedness
- having a high or exaggerated opinion of oneself or one's accomplishments
- archaic fanciful
- obsolete witty or intelligent
Word Origin and History for conceitedness
c.1600, "having an overweening opinion of oneself" (short for self-conceited, 1590s); earlier "having intelligence" (1540s); past participle adjective from conceit (q.v.).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper