- a general notion or idea; conception.
- an idea of something formed by mentally combining all its characteristics or particulars; a construct.
- a directly conceived or intuited object of thought.
- functioning as a prototype or model of new product or innovation: a concept car, a concept phone.
- Informal. to develop a concept of; conceive: He concepted and produced three films.
Origin of concept
Related Words for conceptperception, conception, theory, image, thought, approach, notion, view, impression, abstraction, brainchild, apprehension, slant, supposition, twist, conceit, hypothesis, consideration, wrinkle, conceptualization
Examples from the Web for concept
Contemporary Examples of concept
But Seligman never imagined how Mitchell might put the concept to work, in part because it was so ill-suited to that purpose.The Luxury Homes That Torture and Your Tax Dollars Built
December 12, 2014
“The idea was to mess with the concept of Christmas,” recalled John Law, an original Cacophony member.Before the Bros, SantaCon Was as an Anti-Corporate Protest
December 12, 2014
The creator Armando Iannucci adapted the concept for an American audience in Veep.Doctor Who: It’s Time For a Black, Asian, or Woman Doctor
December 11, 2014
One of the most romantic—and, some would say, unrealistic—phenomena of American culture is the concept of “the one.”Swimming Owls, Jane Krakowski’s Peter Pan Live! Audition, and More Viral Videos
The Daily Beast Video
December 7, 2014
But the band grew and grew and we were a force to be reckoned with as a concept.George Clinton on Industry ‘Mobsters’ and How Nobody Wants to Listen to a Crackhead
November 19, 2014
Historical Examples of concept
They will test our courage, our devotion to duty, and our concept of liberty.
I felt this the more when to the concept of Infinitude I added that of Intelligence.
He would rather live and die in fear than change this concept of God.
A non-loving Universal Thought was too monstrous a concept to entertain.
To attempt to eliminate fear and retain this concept of God is vain.
- an idea, esp an abstract ideathe concepts of biology
- philosophy a general idea or notion that corresponds to some class of entities and that consists of the characteristic or essential features of the class
- the conjunction of all the characteristic features of something
- a theoretical construct within some theory
- a directly intuited object of thought
- the meaning of a predicate
- (modifier) (of a product, esp a car) created as an exercise to demonstrate the technical skills and imagination of the designers, and not intended for mass production or sale
Word Origin for concept
- An abstract idea or notion.
- An explanatory principle in a scientific system.conception