- a woman who cohabits with a man to whom she is not legally married, especially one regarded as socially or sexually subservient; mistress.
- (among polygamous peoples) a secondary wife, usually of inferior rank.
- (especially formerly in Muslim societies) a woman residing in a harem and kept, as by a sultan, for sexual purposes.
Origin of concubine
Examples from the Web for concubine
Historical Examples of concubine
In the same year he married a seventh wife, and also a concubine.A Critical Exposition of the Popular 'Jihd'
Moulavi Gergh Ali
The concubine of a priest is a wicked woman, but she is not a social abomination.
Any slave woman may be made a concubine, but may not be married.
A man may take his slave as a concubine, but he must not sell her to vice.
If the wife did this, the Code did not allow the husband to take a concubine.
- (in polygamous societies) a secondary wife, usually of lower social rank
- a woman who cohabits with a man