- the act of considering; careful thought; meditation; deliberation: I will give your project full consideration.
- something that is or is to be kept in mind in making a decision, evaluating facts, etc.: Age was an important consideration in the decision.
- thoughtful or sympathetic regard or respect; thoughtfulness for others: They showed no consideration for his feelings.
- a thought or reflection; an opinion based upon reflection.
- a recompense or payment, as for work done; compensation.
- importance or consequence.
- estimation; esteem: He is held in great consideration by the community.
- something that suffices to make an informal promise legally binding, usually some value given in exchange for the promise.
- the hearing of a case by a tribunal.
- in consideration of,
- in view of.
- in return or recompense for: She was offered money in consideration of her efforts.
- take into consideration, to take into account; consider: We failed to take into consideration the large number of tourists attending the exhibition.
Origin of consideration
Synonyms for considerationSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for considerationdeliberation, discussion, attention, debate, scrutiny, application, examination, study, review, development, issue, idea, evidence, difficulty, plan, factor, proposal, judgment, problem, respect
Examples from the Web for consideration
Contemporary Examples of consideration
There were even heartfelt pleas for consideration, before—what?How to Survive the New Year ‘Gympocalypse’
January 6, 2015
Prizes may not be exchanged for cash or any other consideration.
But in those detailed lists of obstacles, they forgot to take into consideration the power of the human spirit.From Havana to Hero: Diana Nyad’s 35-Year Quest
September 2, 2014
He was a biggish lad, with a boyish, slightly mischievous grin, and thoughtfulness and consideration were seamed in his character.The James Foley I Knew in the ISIS War Zone
August 20, 2014
I just got The Hollywood Reporter the other day and there was the American Horror Story For Your Consideration ad.Joan Allen on ‘The Killing’ Finale and That Mother of a Twist
August 7, 2014
Historical Examples of consideration
In consideration of the health of Paralus, the customary evening procession was dispensed with.Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
The superintendent would have refused an interview but for one consideration.Brave and Bold
I could of course consistently attribute my change to consideration for you.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
Calmness, justice, and consideration should characterize our diplomacy.
Is there not (as the lawyers would style it) a failure of consideration?
- the act or an instance of considering; deliberation; contemplation
- take into consideration to bear in mind; consider
- under consideration being currently discussed or deliberated
- a fact or circumstance to be taken into account when making a judgment or decision
- on no consideration for no reason whatsoever; never
- thoughtfulness for other people; kindness
- payment for a service; recompense; fee
- thought resulting from deliberation; opinion
- law the promise, object, etc, given by one party to persuade another to enter into a contract
- estimation; esteem
- in consideration of
- because of
- in return for
mid-14c., "a beholding, looking at," also "keeping in mind," from Old French consideracion (12c., Modern French considération), from Latin considerationem (nominative consideratio) "consideration, contemplation, reflection," noun of action from past participle stem of considerare (see consider). Meaning "a taking into account" is from mid-15c.; that of "something given in payment" is from c.1600.
see in consideration of; take into account (consideration); under consideration.