- strongly and urgently felt: a consuming need to be successful.
Origin of consuming
- to destroy or expend by use; use up.
- to eat or drink up; devour.
- to destroy, as by decomposition or burning: Fire consumed the forest.
- to spend (money, time, etc.) wastefully.
- to absorb; engross: consumed with curiosity.
- to undergo destruction; waste away.
- to use or use up consumer goods.
Origin of consume
Synonyms for consumeSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for consuming
Contemporary Examples of consuming
Maybe the key, as with so many other foods, lies in consuming artificially sweetened goods in moderation.Are Artificial Sweeteners Wrecking Your Diet?
September 30, 2014
What I mean to say is that the calories he is consuming match the calories expended—at 200 pounds, or 300 pounds, or 400 pounds.‘The Biggest Loser’ Could Be TV’s Most Important Show Ever
September 26, 2014
Consuming yagé is believed to be a general cure-all for almost anything: cancer, depression, alcoholism, etc.Spirit Tripping With Colombian Shamans
August 24, 2014
Whether Manwaring planned on consuming the drugs or simply had them in hopes of getting laid will be determined in court.Busted for Heroin: When Pilots Fly High
July 23, 2014
He believes that consuming the spirit on a regular basis gives him the strength of a tiger and the senses of a predator.China Is Brewing Wine From Tiger Bones
July 22, 2014
Historical Examples of consuming
She was consuming a fairish stretch of open water at a high speed.The Cruise of the Dry Dock
T. S. Stribling
The earth, indeed, had avenged itself by consuming the church.Abbe Mouret's Transgression
As for me, the garden of my mind is withering, and I am consuming the seed I ought to sow.The Christian
All his faculties were merged into one consuming desire for water—water.Sir Henry Morgan, Buccaneer
Cyrus Townsend Brady
Mark was reminded that the time he was consuming was valuable—but to no purpose.Mark Twain, A Biography, 1835-1910, Complete
Albert Bigelow Paine
- (tr) to eat or drink
- (tr; often passive) to engross or obsess
- (tr) to use up; expendmy car consumes little oil
- to destroy or be destroyed by burning, decomposition, etcfire consumed the forest
- (tr) to waste or squanderthe time consumed on that project was excessive
- (passive) to waste away